WHEN I SAY DOES ELSIE NICHOLS GET IT I DO NOT MEAN IF HE GETS HIS END AWAY OR HAVE SEX.
What I mean is does he “get it” when it comes to the sufferings of clerical sex abuse victims/ survivors.
This emerged at yesterday’s IICSA when Elsie Nichols was giving more evidence – this time about Westminster.
At the beginning of the day they were quoting a nun who said some Catholic leaders “get it” and some do not “get it” when it comes to understanding the sufferings of the victims.
The nun was talking about having true EMPATHY for them, truly listening and understanding them.
Elsie confessed that in the past he did not get it, but that now after spending one evening with 20 victims / survivors in Rome last February he now gets it.
And then, during the rest of his evidence he went on to prove that he still does not get it and never will get it.
This was proven by:
1. His constant raising of eyebrows, his grin, him raising his voice at his interlocutor etc that he carried on with all day yesterday.
2. His refusal to meet with A711 to listen to her story and properly apologise.
3. His ignoring of A711’s constant emails to him.
4. The fact that he had not reprimanded his Episcopal vicar for safeguarding Fr Jeremy Trood for referring to A711 as “manipulative, xxx and passive aggressive”
5. The fact that he had not disciplined his chief of safeguarding for using the same terms and for saying that “we have to play the good practice card” – in other words show that they always used good practice when they didn’t.
6. When Nichols himself said that A711 had an unrealistic expectation of people communicating her her.
7. When Nichols refused to criticise the Vatican for not co-operating with the IICSA and instead gave the cynical answer “I am not an expert in international diplomacy law”.
8. Avoiding questions by saying “I am not a canon lawyer”.
9. Arguing about the difference between unacceptable and unforgivable.
Elsie also tried to play the humble / simple man card by not wearing an Episcopal ring and a silver pectoral- not the gold one in the above pic”.
The barrister put it to Elsie that he had sent A711 a terse email. He agreed he had.
MY EMAIL FROM THE IICSA SOLICITOR
Last week I got a letter from the IICSA’s solicitor asking me to remove the name and photograph of the very senior cleric associated with one of the victims the inquiry has heard from.
They said it risked identifying the victim.
Of course I complied immediately.
But, I’m sure the IICSA does not read this blog. So who notified them I had named the very senior cleric I wonder?
One of the RC gang I imagine.
ELSIE NAMES CARDINAL MURPHY O’CONNOR IN NEW STATEMENT TO IICSA
IS NICHOLS BEATING THE IICSA BARRISTER TO THE LINE BY NAMING CMOC HIMSELF ?
HE WILL BE QUESTIONED ON IT TODAY FROM 1 PM TO 2.30 PM.