Former national education advisor found guilty of sexually and physically abusing a boy while he was a parish priest in the Warwick area
Police praised the bravery of the victim for coming forward and giving evidence against him
By News Reporter The Courier
Thursday, 3rd December 2020,
The disgraced former national education advisor for Roman Catholic schools sexually and physically abused a boy while he was a parish priest at a church in the Warwick area.
As well as sexual abuse, Father Joseph Quigley beat the boy with a hurling stick and locked him in the cold and dark crypt.
Can technology make healthcare more accessible?Promoted by Tej Kohli
He was forced to resign in disgrace, prosecutor Adrian Langdale QC told a jury at Warwick Crown Court.
Joseph Quigley, aged 56, of Stone, Staffordshire, was found guilty at Warwick Crown Court (pictured) of four counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child, two counts of sexual assault, two counts of false imprisonment and one count of child cruelty.
Quigley (aged 56) now of Stone, in Staffs, denied four charges of sexual activity with a child, two of sexual assault, two of false imprisonment and one of cruelty.
But the jury took less than four hours to find him guilty of all nine charges by majority verdicts of 11-1.
Describing the perverted priest as ‘a sexual sadist and voyeur,’ Judge Peter Cooke remanded him in custody while a report is prepared on him to assess the danger he poses in the future.
Mr Langdale said: “This case involves allegations of historic abuse at the hands of this defendant, as he was known at the time, Fr Joseph Quigley. He was a Catholic priest, in a position of power and trust over the complainant.
“The abuse took two forms. First that it was overtly sexual by nature, such as touching and massaging the legs of the young complainant up to and around the groin area.
“There were other acts which were more like punishment of a sado-masochistic nature, such as caning or hitting boys with hurling sticks or shutting boys in the crypt of the church.
“It will seem extraordinary that a person’s religious beliefs could make them blind to what was wrong, but this is why Father Joe, as he was known, was able to get away with the abuse for so long.”
Mr Langdale added: “Father Joe was ordained in 1990. He held various prestigious roles, including being in charge nationally for education in Roman Catholic schools, as well as being a parish priest.”
When his behaviour towards the boy came to light, and he was ‘removed from high priesting’ and sent to an institute in the United States for six months.
“After six months of therapy, he was returned to the UK and put on restricted duties. It would seem the Catholic Church believed that by doing so it had met its duties,” commented Mr Langdale, who pointed out that the police were not informed.
“Despite there not being an investigation at the time, there was clearly another victim the church would have found if they had looked.”
When Quigley was questioned he told a series of ‘careful and deliberate lies and untruths’ – and after the jury’s verdicts Judge Cooke praised the ‘devastatingly effective’ questioning by officers during the interviews.
Adjourning the case for a report to be prepared, he said: “This defendant, previously diagnosed by an expert as a sexual sadist and voyeur, has demonstrated that.
“A lengthy prison sentence is inevitable. I need to decide whether, given that diagnosis, he falls to be sentenced as a dangerous offender.”
He added that investigating officer DS Abigail Simpson and the Warwickshire Police team were ‘richly deserving of a public statement of commendation and thanks.’
Following today’s outcome, investigating officer Detective Sergeant Abigail Simpson from the Warwickshire Police Criminal Investigations Department, said: “Joseph Quigley held a prestigious role and a position of trust within the community at the time the offences were committed, a position he abused by preying on a vulnerable child, grooming him and subjecting him to physical and sexual abuse over a number of years.
“I would like to pay tribute to the victim and witnesses who came forward and gave evidence against him. Thanks to their bravery, Quigley has now been convicted of his appalling crimes and will face justice for his actions, and hopefully this will now give the victim some sense of closure.
“I hope this case reassures anyone who may have been a victim of sexual abuse, either non-recent or current, that Warwickshire Police is committed to providing help and support to victims and bringing offenders to justice. We will always thoroughly investigate, no matter when the abuse took place. There is help and support out there, so please don’t suffer in silence.”
The religious order launched a commission to investigate sexual abuse at its schools after a court in 2019 sentenced a former teacher to nearly 22 years in jail for abusing four students from 2006 to 2019 in Barcelona.
RELIGIOUS ORDER IN SPAIN FINDS 25 CASES OF ABUSE.
December 4, 2020
BARCELONA, SPAIN – The Marist Brothers congregation in Spain said Thursday that 25 minors were sexually abused by former teachers of Roman Catholic religious order at its schools the country.
The order launched a commission to investigate sexual abuse at its schools after a court in 2019 sentenced a former teacher to nearly 22 years in jail for abusing four students from 2006 to 2019 in Barcelona.
Thirteen other former students at the school also accused him of sexual abuse but their cases could not go to trial because the alleged crimes happened too long ago.
“We studied the cases of 25 victims, we listened to them, and a process of recognition of their status as victims is underway,” said a spokesman for the order in Spain.
He declined to give further details about the conclusions of the commission, which will be presented next week.
“We were the first congregation to put in place an independent commission to listen to the victims,” the spokesman told AFP.
The order has agreed to pay 400,000 euros ($486,000) in compensation to the victims, according to a source with knowledge of the agreement who asked not to be named.
The amount paid to each one varying depending in the seriousness of the case, the source added.
Spanish media in 2016 began reporting on dozens of alleged cases of alleged sexual abuse at Marist schools in Barcelona between 1970 and 2010.
The reports helped break the wall silence which had existed in Spain until then about cases of clerical sexual abuse and led to a rise in accusations.
The Marist community was at the centre of a major clerical abuse scandal that erupted in Chile in 2017 and led to the resignation of 34 bishops in the Latin American country.
Sexual abuse scandals involving priests and teachers at Catholic schools around the world have led to costly legal action, are blamed for an exodus of believers, and have damaged the Church’s moral standing in hitherto staunchly Catholic states like Spain.
More sad cases of abuse.
One priest abused until 2019.
Had he not been watching the tsunami of abuse being exposed?
It seems many abusers have no fear and the danger of being caught turns them on.
And this senior education adviser abused with severe violence.
MONKS AND MONASTERIES
The cases in Mount Mellerary and Silverstream have not gone away and will not be forgotten.
A Canonical Denunciation is being prepared in Rome and will soon be lodged.
A number of Irish Catholics have enlisted the services of a Roman canon lawyer.
SILVERSTREAM and it’s former and current priors – Kirby and Elijah – are unfit for purpose.
Silverstream needs to be closed.
GLENSTAL has had its current and historic problems and needs to be totally renewed and put away its reputation as a gay community in the past.
As readers can see – the priesthood and monasteries are as in a bad a state as they were at the Reformation.
“Sex is the Catholic Church’s 20 th century’s Galileo”.
We are watching this unfolding now.
LINK TO BISHOP PAT’S DAILY MASS ON FACEBOOK LIVE
Saturday and Sunday 12 noon
Mom to Friday 5.30 pm