The story of the conviction of Father Jerry Carey appeared on this blog on Tuesday evening March 2 nd.
Monahan met with his advisers yesterday morning, March 3rd and after the meeting the following statement was issued.
Statement of Bishop Fintan Monahan on the Conviction of Fr. Jerry Carey, Monday, 1st of March, 2021
“Fr. Jerry Carey has been a priest of the diocese of Killaloe for the past 37 years. He was convicted today, in the district court in Galway of indecent exposure in a public place. He received a one month suspended sentence.
Fr. Carey has sincerely apologised for his behaviour and deeply regrets the damage caused by his actions.
As bishop of Killaloe, I acknowledge the upset and distress caused to his parishioners, the priests and the many people to whom he ministered in the diocese.
On behalf of the diocese I wish to apologise for the hurt caused by this crime and what is highly unacceptable behaviour.
Once the incident came to light, Fr. Carey stood down from ministry and immediately engaged in a therapeutic course of assessment and counselling, which continues. Once the criminal proceedings are concluded a canonical process will follow.
If there is anyone who has been affected by any of these issues, you are encouraged to contact the diocese or relevant authorities”.
SOME QUESTIONS THAT ARISE:
1. Did Monahan hope that the story would not get out in the media in general and on this blog?
2. Had it not got out – Carey did attend the Galway’s court as a “Mr. Carey of Nenagh” – even though his only connection with Nenagh is that he has been lying low in the presbytery there – would Monahan have let the whole thing slide and slot Carey back into the clerical club quietly and slowly?
4. Why do Carey’s picture and details remain until today on the website of Colaiste Muire in Ennis – six months after his arrest for a sexual crime?
If Carey stepped aside from ministry six months ago why are both websites treating him as a current PP and chaplain ?
5. Who is paying for Carey’s ON GOING therapy and counselling – a question raised by a blog reader by enail yesterday?
6. Is Father Carey still on a full Killaloe clerical salary?
7. When and where will Father Carey’s secret canonical trial take place.
Fintan Monahan has made one move – to redesignate Carey on the diocesan website:
But if he is off the mission why is he still Co-PP?