Yesterday I received a shocking eight page letter from a group of Ennis residents and parishioners about the level of Church, school and business corruption in Ennus and Kilaloe.
Many names and addresses were given to me in this letter. For obvious reasons, I will proceed cautiously about publishing names and personal details.
The central allegations are as follows:
1. Fintan Monahan is a relatively new bishop and very weak and a couple of hard men senior priests are really running the diocese and Fintan in unable to assert himself.
2. Ger Fitzgerald and Jerry Carey are friends and with others a lot of inappropriate behavious is being covered up.
3. Fintan, senior priests and others have imposed silence on the local newspapers and that’s why the Ger and Jerry scandals have not been properly covered by the Clare newspapers.
4. Journalists and newspapers owners are complicit.
5. Local high profile and well connected lay men are sponsoring Killaloe diocese and are being appointed to church school boards.
6. Ger Fitzgerald is supported by strong Sinn Fein people and many know if his liaisons with several ladies.
7. Jerry Carey has sexual history and not necessarily with girls and this history has been covered up.
8. Parents are afraid to speak out against these matters as they fear their children will be targeted in school.
9. Former bishop Willy Walsh felt powerless against these clerical and lay forces.
10. Parishions think that Ger and Jerry will be foisted on the people of new parishes soon and because of the media black out these parishioners will be unaware of the dangers they present.