Publishing this correspondence is important because the correspondence from bishops, and between bishops and priests rarely sees the light of day.
Most priests would be afraid to publish their bishops letters to them because it would lead to punishment, exile and perhaps total dismissal.
Bill has no fear of that.
TO BILL FROM BILL’S SOLICITOR
On 27 Sep 2018, at 9:48 am
In relation to your case with the archdiocese. I value your trust and your complete authority to conduct this negotiation as I see fit. I believe that it is an extremely delicate negotiation and I must proceed to maximise the amount of funds and resources made available to provide for you into the future. I think that I should approach the situation diplomatically with that end in mind.
I propose to write to the Archbishop today opening the conversation. I will do so in a highly diplomatic fashion that will on the face of it express sympathy for both positions but in reality it will have one purpose and that is to help you achieve your end to the greatest degree possible. In my view you are owed a duty of case and I think the church should accept that without too much controversy. However, we will see.
FROM BILL TO HIS SOLICITOR CAHIR
Sent from my iPhone
On 2 Oct 2018, at 14:44, william mulvihill wrote:
You asked where I was living during our recent face to face conversation ( Evan and I were taking the temperature of it all before Court and my name before it ), I answered with the house I had/have use of….but clearly said i was not there…
I am now living in Greystones, that is where I now am for the interim.
Yeats’ best line entirely; “Appearances mock reality ………”
I sense that you are watching out for me…..
You are a good man as I am…….
Kafka arrived, it is hoped…..your library will to be sure have all his works in the not too distant future.
Bill ( Mulvihill)
FROM CAHIR TO BILL
FROM EAMON MARTIN’S SOLICITOR.
We refer to the above matter and to our recent discussion and correspondence.
As you are aware an Administrator was placed in the parish formerly lead by your client over the weekend. This was dealt with personally by our client and the appointment was explained to the parishioners.
Our client has reflected on the issues over the weekend and we have discussed several approaches with him and we are instructed to forward the following;
1. Our client is mindful of the situation facing your client and, as he has previously expressed, would ask your client to take time to reflect on the decisions before him;
2. To assist your client we are to suggest that our client would grant your client a 6 month leave of absence which would be extended by a further 6 months if needed. At the end of the required period your client would then advise of his final decision (we will advise of our belief on those decisions at the end of this exchange);
3. Whilst on his period of leave your client would not retain his faculties as a priest but would continue to be a priest of the Archdiocese of Armagh;
4. Our client would maintain your client with a stipend (around €1700 per month) to be paid to a bank account nominated by your client;
5. Our client would further contribute a sum towards accommodation costs for your client (sum to be discussed);
6. Your client would take the time to rest and reflect and, if he feels it is appropriate, seek assistance to aid his reflection;
7. Your client will maintain this channel of communication and will not insult our client, the Church or figures in the Church on any social media or other forum.
We believe this is a reasonable approach and one which will assist in achieving a fair outcome for all concerned.
As we understand things your client has declared that he wishes to renounce the Church completely so we would ask that he takes time to reflect on a huge decision for someone who has pursued a life within that Church. Ultimately your client will need to decide if he wishes to renounce his Church, or if he remains within the Church if he wishes to leave the priesthood or if ultimately he wishes to return to his role as a priest. This is a graduated decision process and we accept it will take time.
Finally an issue has arisen within the Parish. Your client has locked the house and our client and the Administrator need to access the property as the various baptism registers and marriage rolls are stored there. Children may need their Baptism records for First Communion and Confirmation and so it is essential that our client can access the property. We would ask that your client return the keys (via this office if that is easier) as a matter of urgency.
We await hearing from you with your comment and with proposals to return the keys.
4 TH OCTOBER 2018
FROM BILLS PROPOSED LANDLORD
FROM CAHIR TO BILL
I am anxious to have a meeting with yourself and Karl, to firm up on our strategy going forward and how we are going to achieve the unconditional exit you want but with appropriate financial recompense.
Would any time on Friday suit you?
I think we need to have a very clear pathway to what we want mapped out and take it from there.
FROM EM’S SOLICITOR TO BILL’S SOLICITOR
TO BE CONTINUED…….